Smartsheet is a cloud-based, enterprise, work management and collaboration software. As a UX Principal, Ashley manages a team focusing on all aspects of the Smartsheet application directly tied to the company's revenue streams, including but not limited to: onboarding, pricing and payments, empty set states, and interstitials.
- User Mental, Emotional, Behavioral Model: Create an onboarding structure and flow that matches what our users need in order to be onboarded and converted.
- Smartsheet Success Model: Clearly show and articulate what we have learned at Smartsheet in regards to successfully onboarding and converting users.
- Customization & Optimization: Create the content in this structure and flow to be modular so that it can be customized per user type, easily tested, and easily updated.
- Users have a positive first impression in ~100ms
- Users understand the potential and purpose of Smartsheet in the first 3 minutes
- Users return within first 24 hours of first log in
- Users invite minimum 3 people during first 30 days
- Users interact with the app at least 6 times during the first 30 days
- Free trialers convert to paid within the first 30 days
Steps taken during research phase:
- Stakeholder interviews
- Literature review
- Current onboarding usage data analysis
- Contextual inquiries
Steps taken during planning phase:
- Heuristic evaluation of current onboarding experience
- Competitive / Comparative analysis
- Proto persona development
- User journey map
- Design studio for rapid prototyping
- Journey map open house to edit, improve, validate
Prototyping & Testing
Created a clickable prototype using Sketch and InVision.
Conducted usability test of onboarding concepts with 7 users.
Specify & Evolve
Currently creating variations of free trial onboarding that include the following concepts:
- Improving empty set states for main content area
- Sample workspace
- Opt-in tour
Plan to go live with updated free trial onboarding end of 2017.
Expanding onboarding scope to include new, licensed users and free collaborators entering an existing enterprise account, as well as mobile onboarding.